Richard Essenberg enriched our walk with his interesting historical facts and anecdotes about the buildings, streets, the SP and Oregon Electric Train companies, trains, tracks, routes and people. We began our walk at 9:00 am in front of the library by the Eugene Skinner statue. The new building under construction shuts out the view of Skinner Butte for poor Mr. Skinner. We took note of the Peter Helser’s sculptures since he would be speaking at the September Explora Talk. A few hours later we walked up the new steps to the Sheldon McMurphy House and then walked up a steep trail to the top of the Butte. In time for lunch, our last stop was the 5th Street Market to see the plaque in the sidewalk noting that in April of 1852, Eugene Skinner and Judge Risdon established a meridian line from which to survey an plat a town site, which was located east of Skinner's Butte. Thanks to the enthusiastic "amblers" who were curious and interested.Members: Janet Jacobsen, Richard Essenberg, Sharon Duncan, Judy Parker, Helen Martz, Margaret Essenberg, Leah Firth, Marian West. Nonmembers: Ray Wissig.
Copyright © 2000-2017 Obsidians, Inc. Last Updated 13 Jun 2014
Email: Obsidians Email: Webmaster