Established in 1859, Eugene Masonic Cemetery is a welcoming place to visit on Memorial Week-end. We began our walk on city streets and trails up to the Obsidian Lodge and Hendricks Park at 9:30. We were back at the cemetery in time to stroll past the graves and read the biographies before Taps was played at noon at the Public Square. Our last stop was Hope Abbey, the mausoleum built in 1913. Eugene Masonic Cemetery Association greeted us not only with their knowledge, but with cake and cold beverages. They have accomplished so much since they started the restoration 22 years ago. Back in 1914 when the Oregon Electric Station was completed, we could have traveled the three miles to the cemetery on the trolley at a cost of 5 cents. It was a pleasant morning, one to be repeated next year.Members: Jacobsen, Janet, Sutterfield, June, Sojak, Darko, Fogg, May, Steggell, Dorene, Gunther, Barbara, Randall, Kathy, Northrop, Jim.
Many flowers —photo by Darko Sojak
click here for more photos from this trip
Copyright © 2000-2017 Obsidians, Inc. Last Updated 23 Oct 2018
Email: Obsidians Email: Webmaster