From Cougar Reservoir, we drove slowly 4.9 miles up on a one lane road to the last hard to find trail sign. The two plus mile trail had amazing sections of stone walls on a steep slope that were built by the CCC in the 1930’s. The bounty of wildflowers, including rhododendrons, made the trail even more impressive. From the top of Macduff, we had panoramic views of the mountains from Jefferson to Diamond Peak. It was the 82nd anniversary of the June 28, 1931 Obsidian hike when the Nelson Macduff plaque was placed on top, and then was somehow later identified on maps as McLennan Mountain. With the help of Obsidians and Forest Service, the Oregon Geographic Names Board finally approved the names to be reversed. On a June 28, 1992 Obsidian hike, when Sharon Ritchie was President, the plaque was rededicated on the same mountain, but now with the correct name, Macduff. With photos of both events, our group did a 2013 photo reenactment. We left Eugene at 8:00, started hiking at 10:00, and had lunch on top around 11:20. It was a hot day so the return trip in the forest shade was pleasant, concluding with ice cold Italian soda back at our cars.Members: Janet Jacobsen, May Fogg, Jorry Rolfe, Don Colgan, Ed Lichtenstein, Steven Johnson, Valerie Metcalfe, John Jacobsen, Carl Hassman. Nonmembers: Marissa Athens, Peter Pellitier, Jim Woods.
June 28, 1931 hike to place the plaque in honor of Nelson Macduff—photo by Janet Jacobsen
click here for more photos from this trip
Copyright © 2000-2017 Obsidians, Inc. Last Updated 13 Jun 2014
Email: Obsidians Email: Webmaster