Finding the Lost County of Umpqua 1851-1862
May 23, 2006
Umpqua County was located roughly in what is now western Douglas County. Our goal was to study the history of the Lower Umpqua Basin, focusing on the short lived County of Umpqua.
Verna Kocken guided us over scenic backroads through Oakland, Sutherlin, Melrose, and Cleveland Rapids for our coffee break at the “Old Fort McKay” at the confluence of the Calapooya Creek and the Umpqua, now the Henry Estate Winery.
We then drove along the Tyee Road to Elkton with Ewart Baldwin explaining the geology. We stopped at Scottsburg County Park for lunch during a window of dry mild weather.
Our next stop was at the Umpqua Discovery Center, the highlight being their new exhibit “Pathways to Discovery — Exploring Tidewater Country.” We completed our Umpqua tour at the Lighthouse viewpoint overlooking the mouth of the river. There is lots of history: about the natives, the Hudson’s Bay Co., Jedidiah Smith, Levi Scott, the Applegates and more.
Driver Larry Edwards returned us at 5:45 — via Florence and Route “F”. Forty two riders (including three non-members) were on the trip. Verna Kocken, Leader, Ray Jensen, Asst. Leader
Members: Ethel Allen, Don Baldwin, Ewart Baldwin, Barbara Beard, Paul Beard, Paula Beard, Louise Behnke, Mary Lee Cheadle, Marge Crueger, Rosemary Etter, Rachele Fiszman, Jeannette Forsman, Bette Hack, Dora Harris, Evelyn Hile, Kess Hottle, Ben Jeffries, Pat Jeffries, Ray Jensen, Vi Johnson, Rosella Jones, Verna Kocken, John McManigal, Lenore McManigal, Natalie Newlove, Maude Nilsen, Joyce Norman, Barbara Payne, Don Payne, Virginia Prouty, Liz Reanier, Edith Rode, Paula Sievers, Julie Snell, Dick Speelman, Janet Speelman, Mary Ellen West, Christy White and Vera Woolley. Nonmembers: Barbara Hottle, Dotty Sullivan and Ed Sullivan.