Gillespie Butte & Cemetery
April 9, 2005
What a surprise!
It was a sunny day for our short mile hike from Starbucks at Valley River
to Gillespie Butte.
We crossed east over the bridge, left on Willagillespie Road, right
Clinton Road, and a right on Crenshaw Road which dead-ends at the cemetery road.
The Gillespie Cemetery is a hillside landscape that was once part of the
homestead of the Reverend Jacob Gillespie.
Gillespie purchased the land claim from Adam Peek in 1852.
In May of 1895 Jacob and Elizabeth Gillespie donated a parcel of land measuring
12 by 14 rods on the north end of Gillespie Butte to the Gillespie Cemetery
Association to be used as a burial ground.
The graves face eastward and markers are placed on the west end of the grave.
Near a spectacular field of shooting stars and blooming lilacs, we located the
graves of Jacob Gillespie and his wives, Amelia and Elizabeth Goodpasture.
Sherry Perry was pleased when she located several of her husband’s
Janet read some information written by member, Karen Siedel, about the Woodsman
of the World (WOW) monument of James Armitage.
From there we walked to the top of the butte for views of the city.
We wondered if Gillespie and other settlers enjoyed picnics from this lovely spot.
On the way back to Valley River Center, we met up with Bonnie Richman on her
bicycle looking for us.
She misunderstood where we were meeting.
Several of us walked back to show her the way to this interesting Eugene landmark.
Janet Jacobsen (leader),