March 22, 1997
First some of the good things about hiking across the dunes to the beach:
(1) Being with a nice bunch of people who can still have fun when their feet are wet and cold.
These good sports were Rita Johnson, Donna Cole, Ivan Vandeberg, Gloria Gunderson, Janet Hall,
Nola Shurtleff, Margee Wright, Max Brown, Becky Hansen and leader Royal Murdock.
(2) Despite the weatherman’s forecast, the breeze was gentle, the sky blue and the sun golden.
(3) We found a dry way back.
(4) Margee and Rita were rescued from the quick sand.
(5) Stopping for ice cream after the hike.
(6) Watching a curious seal watch us.
(7) An absolutely private beach.
Now the bad: (1) The trail across the deflation plain was damp from runoff — up to our knees.
(2) The pit toilets had been saving up all year.
Guess seven out of nine isn’t too bad!