September 25, 1993
Seven hikers had a beautiful Fall day for this trip to a high viewpoint northwest of Mt. Jefferson.
The leader had first visited this peak about 1951, when a friend was manning the fire lookout there.
He had also led a hike there from the 1960 Obsidian summer camp at Jefferson Park.
After long hikes on different routes in 1991 and 1992, he had learned how to approach it from the west,
where it is only 2.5 miles to the summit, on a good trail.
We found many large huckleberries to snack on along the trail.
We were hiking at a slow pace, with the leader limping all the way.
He had been unable to lead a scheduled climb a week earlier, but felt he could do this relatively
Near the summit, we met a party of Chemeketans and several other hikers.
We could see the peaks from the Sisters to Hood, and more faintly even St. Helens and Rainier.
After our lunch with a view and a few photographs, we followed the short trail (or what has to pass
for a trail) over to the lower simimit and on down to Boca Cave.
This large cave has an excellent view out to Mt. Jefferson.
We returned to Eugene about 6:00, and all participants felt that it had been a very worthwhile trip.
Hikers (all Obsidians) were: Judy Forell, Jenny, Megan & Margee Wright, Royal Murdock, Hank Plant
and Norman Benton, leader.