Fall Creek Trail
May 24, 1986
Our “small” hiking group met under sunny skies at 9 a.m. in the SEHS parking lot. After introductions and a brief rundown of the day’s planned events, we piled in several cars and headed toward Fall Creek Trail via Highway 58. We arrived at Bedrock Campground at 10 a.m., unloaded passengers and placed the cars upstream at the trailhead on Road 1833.
At about 10:40 a.m. we were on the trail. In less than ten minutes we were headed uphill toward the Jones Trail. After skirting the ridge we dropped back down toward the stream (over a few blown down trees). We traveled about 4 miles and then ate lunch in the sun on the rocks just below Alder Creek. The sun brought the “lizard” out in some who opted for short naps on the rocks, while others dipped their feet into the “chilly” water.
We hit the trail again at about 1 p.m., with all but one hiker arriving at the trailhead between 2:45 and 3 p.m. The main comment was — “this was easy?” Actually, this part of the trail from Bedrock to Road 1833 has some real gains in altitude. The upper trail has been closed for a few years giving it an untraveled appearance, lending a special beauty to the area.
A happy, energetic and congenial group of hikers returned to Eugene by 4:30 p.m. They were Dale and June Christiansen, Mary Christoferson, Clair Cooley, Barb Elsen, Jack and Joella Ewing, Gladys Grancorvitz, Joan Keigher, Bonnie Ledford, Rachel Major, Audrey Malloy, Loretta and Mel Mitchell, Gary Marx, Jim, Lesley and Richard Mooney, Lois Schreiner, Frank Sumich, Linda Wells, Art Wild and leader Gerry Tomseth.