East Eugene Historical Walk
December 14, 1985
It was cold, cold. cold !!! with overcast skies. Six of us started walking from 19th and Patterson a little after 9 a.m. for our east Eugene historical excursion. We did some zigging and zagging through the streets as we approached the southwest section of the U of 0 campus passing by fraternal housing groups, old University High School (Uni Hi) which is now part of the College of Education complex of buildings, by the Library then north along the mall as we passed the Art Museum and explained a little of the history and purpose of each building as we hurried through the cold. Crossing thirteenth we viewed the College of Business buildings, and Computer Center and Law School on the left, exclaimed the beauty of the trees marching up the hill toward Deady Hall (none around when Deady was built over a hundred years ago), remarked about 100 year old Villard Hall with its more recent modern theater addition, examined the Dad’s Gates constructed in the later 1930s, then admired the unusual trees—dawn redwood and gingko—plus huge ponderosa pines and Douglas firs on the north side of Villard. We also found the 1897 and 1900 senior class plaques on a couple of old oaks; the 1900 plaque has been nearly covered by bark growth. From there we admired some of the murals and sculpture at the Art and Architecture school, passed by the old science building, Allen Hall (journalism), Friendly Hall (languages), and the Geology building as we hurried to the warmth of the Erb Memorial for some hot drinks.
Venturing out into the cold again we looked at Collier House (former President’s residence and now the Faculty Club), examined the Pioneer Mother statue which stands between former women’s dormitories of Hendricks and Susan Campbell Halls (now university offices), Gerlinger Hall (women’s athletics) which has a beautiful lounge which we were unable to enjoy as it was locked, then backtracked to pass by Johnson Hall (administration) and view Fenton Hall (old library and law school, now Mathematics), and to see the Pioneer Father. We proceeded eastward by the Science buildings making a detour to gaze into the atrium which is surrounded by the underground Science Library, then toward Oregon Hall which houses registration, payroll, student affairs and personnel offices, passed the infirmary, by dormitories to Hayward Field, then westward to Physical Education turning the corner to MacArthur Court (The Pit, also known as the Igloo in the past) and Howe Field with the I.O.O.F. Cemetery across the street. We wandered around passed several fraternal organizations and ended up at old Condon School where we found a nice, comfortable lounge where we ate lunch out of the cold.
It did become warmer as the day progressed and the sun even shone. After lunch we headed north then east passed more dormitories, ending up at Maude Kerns where a Christmas Bazaar was in progressed. We spent a lot of time there examining all the marvelous works of art and listening to a group singing Christmas carols. But we did have to venture out into the cold again, and this time worked our way southwestward to Agate passed Washburn Park then zigzagged passed Edison School eventually ending up at the old Masonic Cemetery where Eugene Skinner, and several other famous Oregonians are buried. We wandered up the trails examining various tombstones and found the Skinner plot, and noticed many familiar names such as Patterson, McCornack, Bristow, Johnson (the first U of 0 President is buried there)… We also observed that the place needed a lot of upkeep as many of the graves were overgrown, and stones broken or tipped over. We found the plaque at 25th and University that proclaimed the site of the first school in the area—Point of the Hills School. North up University to 20th, then westward back to the parking lot completed our day at 3 p.m.
Historical walkers were June Christiansen, Clair Cooley, Miki Hutchison, Ruth McCalop, Pat Shaw and leader Lois Schreiner.