April 13, 1985
At 8 a.m. on April 13, thirty-five Obsidians and friends departed for a day of viewing “10 Covered Bridges in Lane and Linn Counties.” They also visited the Sweet Home Museum and enjoyed a sack lunch at Waterloo Linn County Park.
Before 1900 almost all bridges in Western Oregon were covered. In 1936 there were 300 covered bridges in Oregon, by 1979 the number was down to 58. Now, because of logging truck and heavy traffic, bridges are constructed of steel and concrete.
Special features of the trip were mimeographed material on Why Bridges were Covered by Clair Cooley, co-leader, also maps of the roads to be traveled with bridges marked, and post cards of each bridge we would visit were available at the Sweet Home Museum. These were provided by the Scotjac Company in Albany.
A beautiful, sunny Oregon spring day!
Jeannelle Moorhead, Co-leader