Washougal, Maryhill, Kah-Nee-Ta
April 27-29, 1983
The WA-MA-KA bus trip, April 27–29, offered three days of varied activity for its 27 participants. We were fortunate to have Baxter Shaw as the driver of a very comfortable Trailways bus.
At Washougal, WA we visited the Pendleton Woolen mills and were fascinated by the intricate machinery and the skilled workers. The drive along the north bank of the Columbia River on a sunny spring day was delightful. Our lunch stop at Beacon Rock State Park and rest stop at Horsethief Lake State Park were brief so we could be at Maryhill Museum by 3:00 p.m. We spent two hours looking at the outstanding exhibits — Queen Marie of Romania’s memorabilia, paintings, Rodin art, icons, Indian baskets, dolls, etc. Then to Stonehenge, also built by Samuel Hill as a memorial to the soldiers of Klickitat County who gave their lives in WWI. Arrived at the Riviera Motel in Biggs about 6:00.
Thursday morning we traveled south on US 97 with brief stops in Wasco to see the old Columbia Southern train depot built in 1897 and now being restored; in Moro to view the 1899 Sherman County courthouse; in Grass Valley to have the Postmaster Annice Nogale, Lois Baker’s cousin, greet us and give a brief history of the town; in Shaniko to look at the old buildings which were empty and the town seemed deserted.
In Rajneeshpuram we toured the ranch in a yellow bus, some of us lunched at Zorba the Buddha Rajneesh Restaurant, then watched the guru drive past in one of his Rolls-Royces. His followers stood along the road in the rain.
In Antelope we looked at the exterior of the old church and then to Kah-Nee-Ta resort where we stayed at the Lodge. Those who wanted to swim and eat at the Village were given “shuttle service” by Baxter. Everyone enjoyed this beautiful place and want to return for a longer stay.
Friday morning we left the Lodge at 10:00 a.m., made a short step at the Village for the morning swimmers and visited the gift shop. Then stopped for another art and craft shop in Warm Springs where there were beautiful items made locally. Drove past Pelton Dam which backs up water to form Lake Simtustus, and Round Butte Observatory. In Cove Palisades State Park we stopped at one of the observation points on the Rimrock basalt (2,600') and looked down about 650' to the Crooked River and Deschutes River arms of Lake Billy Chinook, separated by the Island. To the northwest was the Metolius River arm of the lake. At Peter Skene Ogden Wayside we saw the awe-inspiring Crooked River Gorge.
We had a delicious buffet lunch at The Emporium in Tumalo; visited the adjacent Boutique and found more intriguing items to buy. We paused to look at the llamas near Sisters, then traveled over the Santiam Pass and McKenzie Highway and arrived in Eugene about 6:15 p.m. after 617 miles of interesting experiences.
WA-MA-KA travelers were Mary Jane Arpin, Carlene K. Beck, Margaret Bennett, Mary Bridgeman, Ingrid Carmichael, Sophie Christopher, Doris Frese, Laura Hayes, Vera Heidenreich, Jane Hilt, Virginia Horton, Art and Lillian Johnson, Ruth Keyes, Beatrice LeFevre, Violet Marlowe, Jennelle Moorhead, Dasie Niccolls, Ruth Nichols, Edith Post, Grace Smith, Myrtle Smith, Betty Mae Stamm, Mildred Weatherby, Gladys Williams and leaders Virginia DeMers and Frances Newsom.