Waldo Lake - Crescent Lake

September 8-9, 1979

The plans were laid and expectations were high for a grand canoe exploration of Waldo Lake but some funny things happened on the way to the implementation of the plans. In the first place, there were two canoes instead of the hoped for six. Instead of leaving at 8:00 a.m. as planned, we had a leisurely strategy session over coffee and other stuff and finally decided to go—by this time it was 10:00 a.m. The weather in Eugene was not all that encouraging and the weather reports were positively confusing. We got to Waldo Lake, North Bay Campground, about 12:30 p.m. (After a stop at Oakridge for more coffee). As we had suspected, Waldo was covered with whitecaps—okay for sailing, maybe, but not for pleasure canoeing. So—we moved on over Willamette pass to the West campground on Crescent lake. There we found much more pleasant weather. By the time we set up camp, it began to feel like dinner time, and since we had already set a norm of casualness, dinner lasted until about 9:00 p.m. So far no canoeing. The weather was clear and warm all night and someone suggested we could have canoed in the moonlight without any trouble . . . but we didn’t. The moon was so bright that we could see leaf shadows on the tent from the inside.

Sunday dawned clear and warm and the lake was beautifully calm. We had a quick snack of coffee and zucchini bread launched our canoes, and paddled almost to the other end of the lake. We noticed signs of life at Dorothy Turner’s cabin so we stopped there and had pleasant conversation for a while. Then we paddled back to our campground where we found that the chipmunks had been enjoying rummaging through our gear while we were away. No bears—just chipmunks, or maybe ground squirrels.

We maintained our pace and had a leisurely brunch of bacon and eggs, melon, and some steak left over from last night. By this time, no consensus could be reached about more canoeing, so we packed up and headed toward Eugene. At Oakridge, we made a side trip to Salmon Creek Falls and spent a pleasant hour there, wading above and below the falls. Back to Oakridge where we decided it would be more fun to eat “dinner” in Green Waters Park than to wait and eat at home. We did—and it was! Arrived back in Eugene about 7:00 p.m. We had not done the amount or type of canoeing we had planned, but the four of us had a pleasant relaxing time of it. Canoeing were: Dave Herrick, Pat Herrick, Joella Hadland and Jack Ewing, leader.

Home   About Us    Our Activities    Contact Us   Join Us    Gallery   Outdoor Links    Members Only

Copyright 2000-2016  Obsidians, Inc.      Last Updated  31 Dec 2009

Email: Obsidians          Email: Webmaster