Hood River-Mt. Hood Loop
May 7, 1977
Forty-four Obsidians and friends left the South Eugene High School parking lot
at 8:00 a.m. under partially cloudy sky.
After a rest stop south of Portland, we went on to the Vista House at Crown
Point for view of the river 725 feet below.
Then we drove the old scenic highway and pleased to see so much water coming over
the falls, especially Multnomah where we took a picture taking break.
Lunch was at Bonneville where the grounds were a riot of color with rhododendrons
and azaleas in full bloom.
At Panoroma Point south of Hood River we had a good view of the valley but Mt. Hood
was hidden in clouds.
Our next stop was at the “country” store at Mt. Hood which was built in
1932, five years before Timberline.
The store specializes in products from the valley and one interesting product is the
wine made from local fruits.
By the time we reached Timberline it was snowing but we took time for a short guided
tour of the Lodge, seeing such things as the beautifully restored Blue Gentian Room,
not open to the public, and the new additions to the old building.
Then we headed homeward arriving much later than planned but most everyone seemed to
enjoy the trip and asked about future bus trips.
Those making the trip with
as leaders were
Jane and Larry Hilt,
Art and Lillian Johnson,
Jane and George Newton,
Janice and Melville Pattison,
Hazel and Clifford Stalsberg,
Betty Mae Stamm,