Lucky Boy Mine and Gold Hill
September 26, 1976
Left Eugene High School parking lot at 8:15 a.m. with seven people in a Dodge
van, and joined two others from McKenzie Bridge.
Drove by Blue River Dam to the mouth of Quartz Creek where we left the cars
about 9:30 in bright sun.
Hiked up the old Lucky Boy Mine Road (now abandoned), past a cabin to the mines
Ate lunch and read the history of the mines supplied by the USFS and Gail Burwell.
Then hiked on up Quartz Creek to another mine, past several old shafts to the high
ridge and road on up to the Renfrew Grave where we read the history supplied by
A small natural stone monument has marked the resting place of Dr. Reefrew since
1876, just exactly 100 years ago!
Several of us went to the top of Gold Hill where the old L.O. used to be, for a
fine Fall view of the Cascades.
It was a hot, long trip gaining more than 3000 ft. of altitude, but we were back
to the cars by dark (or just after dark), and home to some “worried
families;” and no injuries.
Enjoying the trip were
Carol and Lonnie Bourgerie,
Robert Moffitt, leader.