Deer Butte Trail

June 28, 1975

We left Eugene on a cloudy, rain-threatening day to explore an old trail in the upper McKenzie area to learn its condition. The rain held off and we enjoyed sunshine in the afternoon. After driving the McKenzie Highway to the junction with the old highway we stopped at the Scott Creek bridge to see if we could find the beginning of the old Scott Trail which was supposed to start at the end of an opening just east of the highway. We found it after several false leads into the brush. After following an old “cat” road parallel to the highway we found a trail which turned back towards the stream and eventually brought us to the trailhead.

We then proceeded to drive up the Scott Creek road #1601 then off on road #1506B about three miles to a trailhead marked with lots of white ribbons. It was the Benson Lake trail which we took to its junction with the Deer Butte Trail. The Deer Butte trail goes along the western edge of the Three Sisters Wilderness for nine miles from road #1601 to road #1556B. We followed it south for a ways then took off cross country to find Prince Lake, which is named for Prince Glaze, an old time Obsidian. Hunted for “The Knobs” but found nothing to satisfy our ideas as to what the Knobs might be. Went through the Knobs Sheep Camp, an old camping spot with a good meadow and lots of water. In fact there was lots of water everywhere and snow patches to go over. This was a “Search & Seekers” trip and we all agreed that there were possibilities for an Obsidian hike with a car shuttle. Chasing the wild geese were: Wes Prouty, Velma Shirk, Ted Stern, Merle Traudt and the leader Helen Smith.


Home   About Us    Our Activities    Contact Us   Join Us    Gallery   Outdoor Links    Members Only

Copyright 2000-2016  Obsidians, Inc.      Last Updated  31 Dec 2009

Email: Obsidians          Email: Webmaster