Image of this issue
Text of other pages in this issue: 1 2 3 4
The Obsidian, June 1959 3
U of O Climbers First on Washington
The year's first ascent of Mt. Washington was made over the Memorial Day weekend by 10 climbers representing the University of Oregon Alpine Club.
John Lindstrom, who led the climb, reported ice on the pinnacle, making handholds precarious. There was also snow on the summit, something few Washington climbers ever see. The group reached the pinnacle by climbing up the scree slope to the west, then followed the traditional route up the north face of the pinnacle.
They left the Hoodoo Bowl area at 5:15 a.m., hiking to the mountain via Big lake and reached the top at 1:30 p.m.
Climbing, besides John Lindstrom, were Dick Shepherd, Marjorie Morse, Nick Squires, Gene Hebert, Tom Easton, Ruth Unger, Jim Haight, Galen McBee and Bob Bohr.
Search and Rescue
Gene Sebring and Lloyd Plaisted attended a Moresco meeting at Mt. Hood over the June 6-7 weekend.
Earlier in the spring the club's search and rescue committee, and equipment, was called upon to bring an injured flier out of the woods near the Salt Creek tunnel.
The committee also took part this spring in a safety fair at the Lane County Fairgrounds, sponsored by the Lane County Volunteer Rescue group. Included in the display were manikins illustrating safe mountain rescue technique.
Mary Cavagnaro replaces Tom Taylor as chairman of the Youth Activities Committee. Tom remains as chairman of the building committee.
It's a son for Keena and Bob Northrup. Michael Robert Northrup was born on May 21, 1959.
Historical Material Put in Library
Valuable historical material belonging to the club has been put in the University of Oregon library for safe keeping -- at least until a clubhouse is built. The original Middle Sister Book has been put there permanently.
Temporarily in the library are summit books from most of the other mountains, a pamphlet describing an early climb of the Sisters, a typewritten copy of the original Middle Sister book, club scrapbooks from 1928 to 1950 and minutes from 1937 to 1943.
The file of Obsidian bulletins, which had been in the hands of Bulletin Editor Bob Frazier, is now filed with the historical material handled by Historian Dorothy Ruse.
Members who might have other club material -- in a basement or attic or in an old box -- were asked by the board to dig it out so that the historian can know the exact state of club records. After we get a clubhouse, with library space, it will be easier to catalogue and keep track of the material we have.
More New Members
The membership list has increased by 15 this year, Membership Chairman Kay Fahy reports. Only five persons now on the roster are in arrears on their dues. Kay asks that members feed her suggestions for new members. Don't forget the guests who participate in summer trips and climbing activities. Membership blanks are available at Gilberts, near the sign-up sheets.
The entertainment committee has scheduled a picnic at Black Canyon Forest Camp on the Willamette above Lookout Point Dam for the weekend of July 10-11. Details will be made available through the Register-Guard or on the bulletin board at the Gilbert Shoe Store, 49 East Broadway.
Copyright © 2000-010 Obsidians, Inc. Last Updated 6 Oct 2009
Email: Obsidians Email: Webmaster